Remember when I told you I would tell you the story about why I was going to see a Sports Doctor...well, I figured you all have waited long enough, so here it is....
About 4 years ago...yes, I did say 4 years, I was working out at the gym. Before having Cannon man the hubby and I would go to the gym pretty often, 5 days a week mostly. Ahhh, the life of freedom... ;) Anyway, one particular time a male trainer approached me and asked me if I wanted a FREE session. I guess they give out one free session hoping you will like it so much and want more. For me, I hear free and nothing else. I DO NOT get sold on things, so, I figured it couldn't hurt by going and I could learn some new exercises. I am always looking for new ways to help my body look good...(I'm still waiting on that by the way haha) I show up to my session and the guy says he wants to work on arms....um, what, really? Have you seen my arms? They are scrawny! I have no desire to learn more information about my arms...I just don't care. I would rather work on areas that um, NEED the help...like my booty, or legs, or my stomach. What girl wants a free session on ARMS!!! Boo to that! Anyway, we worked my arms to DEATH! And I mean it! He worked them way too hard and because I try to be one tough cookie I did everything he asked me to do. But, what trainer starts off at hard? Don't you think he should have asked what I was doing before and then go with that. My experience with weights is that you build UP! This guy worked my arms for an entire hour!
Long story short, I literally could not straighten or bend my arms all the way. They were in an in between stage for not a couple days like I thought they would be, but for a MONTH! Yes, you heard me right, a month! It was one of the most painful injuries I have ever had and I have had my share with being a gymnast and a soccer player. My arms started to feel better and then they would hurt again. So, here I am 4 years later and about once a month my arms will flare up and I will have horrible pain. Usually it last about a week or so, but lately they will not let up. I finally decided it was time to go get my arms checked out.
The Doctor said that he didn't think there was any kind of tear, which I am actually surprised about...he just thinks that the muscle gets inflamed because it rubs against bone...which every one's does. My arms never really were able to heal. He gave me a cortisone shot in both shoulders, medicine to help with the inflammation and a referral to get physical therapy. I thought for sure I would be back, but I never went to get my prescription and haven't done any physical therapy and I have not felt any pain whatsoever! I guess my arms have been inflamed for 4 years? Weird, but I am happy I have no pain right now.
In my opinion personal trainers are what their name says they are, personal. Every person is different, meaning the same work out that works for me may not work for you and vice versa. Two people working out together, doing the same exercises will not get the same results. So, a personal trainer finds out what works for YOUR body. This guy did not do this because 1, he didn't ask me any questions about my workouts and what I am capable of doing (he didn't get to know me) and 2, he worked me way too hard from the start! Like I said building up is the key.
Lesson learned: Just because someone works at a gym and there name tag says, 'Trainer' on it doesn't mean they are really qualified. This guy didn't know much more than I did. We should have sued the Gym for hiring people like him. ;) If you are looking into getting a personal trainer make sure you get some background about the person to make sure they are qualified. I DO believe there are good trainers out there, but I also believe there are a lot of bad ones. Don't repeat my mistake.
About 4 years ago...yes, I did say 4 years, I was working out at the gym. Before having Cannon man the hubby and I would go to the gym pretty often, 5 days a week mostly. Ahhh, the life of freedom... ;) Anyway, one particular time a male trainer approached me and asked me if I wanted a FREE session. I guess they give out one free session hoping you will like it so much and want more. For me, I hear free and nothing else. I DO NOT get sold on things, so, I figured it couldn't hurt by going and I could learn some new exercises. I am always looking for new ways to help my body look good...(I'm still waiting on that by the way haha) I show up to my session and the guy says he wants to work on arms....um, what, really? Have you seen my arms? They are scrawny! I have no desire to learn more information about my arms...I just don't care. I would rather work on areas that um, NEED the help...like my booty, or legs, or my stomach. What girl wants a free session on ARMS!!! Boo to that! Anyway, we worked my arms to DEATH! And I mean it! He worked them way too hard and because I try to be one tough cookie I did everything he asked me to do. But, what trainer starts off at hard? Don't you think he should have asked what I was doing before and then go with that. My experience with weights is that you build UP! This guy worked my arms for an entire hour!
Long story short, I literally could not straighten or bend my arms all the way. They were in an in between stage for not a couple days like I thought they would be, but for a MONTH! Yes, you heard me right, a month! It was one of the most painful injuries I have ever had and I have had my share with being a gymnast and a soccer player. My arms started to feel better and then they would hurt again. So, here I am 4 years later and about once a month my arms will flare up and I will have horrible pain. Usually it last about a week or so, but lately they will not let up. I finally decided it was time to go get my arms checked out.
The Doctor said that he didn't think there was any kind of tear, which I am actually surprised about...he just thinks that the muscle gets inflamed because it rubs against bone...which every one's does. My arms never really were able to heal. He gave me a cortisone shot in both shoulders, medicine to help with the inflammation and a referral to get physical therapy. I thought for sure I would be back, but I never went to get my prescription and haven't done any physical therapy and I have not felt any pain whatsoever! I guess my arms have been inflamed for 4 years? Weird, but I am happy I have no pain right now.
In my opinion personal trainers are what their name says they are, personal. Every person is different, meaning the same work out that works for me may not work for you and vice versa. Two people working out together, doing the same exercises will not get the same results. So, a personal trainer finds out what works for YOUR body. This guy did not do this because 1, he didn't ask me any questions about my workouts and what I am capable of doing (he didn't get to know me) and 2, he worked me way too hard from the start! Like I said building up is the key.
Lesson learned: Just because someone works at a gym and there name tag says, 'Trainer' on it doesn't mean they are really qualified. This guy didn't know much more than I did. We should have sued the Gym for hiring people like him. ;) If you are looking into getting a personal trainer make sure you get some background about the person to make sure they are qualified. I DO believe there are good trainers out there, but I also believe there are a lot of bad ones. Don't repeat my mistake.











No comments:
Post a Comment